Foods to Avoid Giving Your Pet This Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of the few holidays where we come together to give thanks for food, family, and friends. And for many of us, our pets are considered an extension of our household.

Although some days we give in to the temptation to feed our dog or cat table foods, during the holidays it’s important to remember that many of the dishes we enjoy as humans can actually be hazardous to our pet’s health.

Because many holiday recipes contain a number of different specialty ingredients, it might be hard to keep track of what your pet might be eating. So, in case you’re wondering which foods to avoid this season, The Barking Lot came up with the list below to help you rule out which holiday dishes could actually be harmful to your pet.

Turkey

Turkey is one of the most common foods served on Thanksgiving. It’s also common to save the leftover meat and bones from dinner for our pets.

But before Fido partakes in the holiday spoils, remember that turkey bones can dry out during cooking, causing them to splinter or crack when chewed. The slivers from these otherwise tasty morsels could be hazardous to the intestines if ingested.

Not only should you avoid giving your pet bones, turkey seasonings like garlic, leeks, and chives can be toxic when given to your dog or cat.

Cranberry Sauce

A holiday staple, cranberry sauce is sure to go over well with friends and family. Not so with our pets. The raisins in cranberry sauce can lead to acute renal failure in your dog or cat if eaten and is one dish your pet can definitely do without.

Grapes

Similar to raisins, grapes are poisonous to pets. Some dogs are more likely to get sick than others from eating them. Once consumed, symptoms can range from vomiting and diarrhea to kidney failure. If you suspect your dog has eaten raisins or grapes contact your vet immediately.

Chocolate

Because this popular food item is enjoyed not only during the holidays, but year round, pet owners should be particularly vigilant when serving chocolate around pets. Theobromine, one of its main ingredients, can be lethal when ingested by cats and dogs causing vomiting, diarrhea, elevated blood pressure, seizures and even coma.

Alcohol

This may go without saying, but beer, wine, and other spirits are never safe for the consumption of pets.

Much like human beings, pets are prone to alcohol poisoning. Your dog or cat could experience anything from vomiting, low blood pressure and body temperature to loss of coordination and coma. Avoid sharing alcoholic beverages in any amount with your pet this holiday season.

Visit The Barking Lot today and check out our selection of safe and tasty treats for your cat or dog this Thanksgiving.

RecentPosts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *