Just like humans, it is important to consider how to keep your dogs’ hearts healthy and strong. However, heart disease affects dogs differently than humans. Dogs rarely develop coronary artery disease but frequently experience the weakening of the heart muscles known as congestive heart failure. To extend the life of your pup, consider these top tips for keeping your dogs heart-healthy.
- Diet – Just like for humans, a healthy diet is key to keeping your dogs heart-healthy and strong, as well as promoting overall health. Also, just like humans, excess weight is a huge risk factor for heart disease. Choosing a high-quality food that has everything they need and nothing they don’t is one of the best things you can do. The Barking Lot has done the work of finding the highest quality pet products. Stop by and check them out today.
- Exercise – Your pup needs cardio too. To keep your dog physically fit, include lots of cardiovascular activities like running, swimming, hiking, and walking. For help with that, check out the dog walking and doggie daycare services at The Barking Lot.
- Dental Care – Dental disease is a major issue for pets, and as we know, dental health is linked to heart health. You should frequently check out your pup’s mouth; if you notice bad smells or irritated gums, notify your vet.
- Doctor Visits – Stay on top of your dog’s health by scheduling frequent wellness checks with your vet. Since your pup is aging at a faster rate, their health can change quickly, so staying on top of their visits to the vet can make a huge difference in their length and quality of life.
- Heartworms – Heartworms can be devastating to your pup’s health. The good news is they are easy to prevent. A monthly pill or topical products is all it takes. For product recommendations, stop by The Barking Lot today.
The worst part about sharing your home with pets is that they can’t be with us forever. Luckily, there are steps we can take to ensure they are with us for as long as possible. With proper diet, exercise, and prevention, your pup can live a long and healthy life. Life is busy, so with services like dog walking, dog boarding, doggie daycare, and more, The Barking Lot can help you provide the best care for your furry loved ones. Check out a full list of their services here.